Some years ago we couldn’t really understand the power and capability of the internet. Now, it’s the same thing with Blockchain – a fascinating new technology that has the same potential to change the world – but most of us are not very familiar with it.
Many people know it as the technology behind Bitcoin, but Blockchain’s potential uses extend far beyond digital currencies. The technology can work for almost every type of transaction involving value, including money, goods and property. Its potential uses are almost limitless: from collecting taxes to enabling migrants to send money back to family in countries where banking is difficult.
Students, professionals, and investors all now need to have at least a basic understanding of blockchain technology and crypto.
As demand for Blockchain professionals is soaring, Blockchain certifications are considered to be a competitive advantage for businesses. But understanding blockchain also aids in better understanding developments such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and autonomous systems.
There are plenty of resources out there if you want to learn more about Blockchain technology. Moonshot News has gathered 5 courses you can take completely online.
First off, Berkeley University of California offers via edX an online program exploring the forefront of blockchain ideas that form the foundations of decentralized technology. Integrating both technical and broad perspectives, Blockchain Fundamentals builds a comprehensive survey of the blockchain space that empowers students, entrepreneurs, and developers of all backgrounds.
You will learn:
- How to synthesize your own blockchain solutions
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the specific mechanics of Bitcoin
- Understand Bitcoin’s real-life applications and learn how to attack and destroy Bitcoin, Ethereum, smart contracts and Dapps, and alternatives to Bitcoin’s Proof-of-Work consensus algorithm
- Enterprise-level blockchain implementations and understand the scaling struggles of blockchain and potential solutions
- The regulation of cryptocurrencies and its implications for anonymity, and what blockchain means for the future.
The program has a duration of 3 months (3 – 5 hours per week)
To really understand what is special about Bitcoin, we need to understand how it works at a technical level. This program addresses the important questions about Bitcoin, such as: How does Bitcoin work? What makes Bitcoin different? How secure are your Bitcoins? How anonymous are Bitcoin users? What determines the price of Bitcoins? Can cryptocurrencies be regulated? What might the future hold?
After this course, you’ll know everything you need to be able to separate fact from fiction when reading claims about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. You’ll have the conceptual foundations you need to engineer secure software that interacts with the Bitcoin network. And you’ll be able to integrate ideas from Bitcoin in your own projects.
The course is offered by Princeton University in the Coursera platform and it takes approximately 23 hours to complete.
MIT Sloan School of Management, one of the world’s leading business schools, offers a 6-week online program to explore the Business Innovation of Blockchain Technologies. The program offers flexible learning with weekly modules – 5-8 hours per week – entirely online.
On completion of this program, you’ll walk away with:
- A deeper understanding of the capabilities and limitations of blockchain technology, enabling you to assess which business problems it can solve.
- A framework for a blockchain-based strategy that addresses a challenge within your own business context.
- Knowledge of how blockchain powers applications like bitcoin and other token-based initiatives, guided by cryptoeconomics expert Christian Catalini.
Wharton’s Fintech Specialization is designed to introduce you to the fundamental building blocks of financial technologies and real-world applications through case studies of Wharton-led companies in the field. In this program you’ll learn the essential components of technology-driven financial strategies, from complex regulations to cryptocurrency to portfolio optimization.
You’ll also learn how modern investment strategies deploy technology to produce optimal results, explore the disruptive force of changing payment methods, analyze the changing regulatory landscape, and gain a deeper understanding of robo-advising, crowdfunding, peer-to-peer lending, and blockchain.
The program takes approximately 4 months to complete, at a suggested pace of 1 hour/week.
Finally, you can explore the current Bitcoin hype and discover blockchain’s powerful business applications to unlock organizational success with this 5-week program offered by SDA Bocconi School of Management.
On completion of the program, you’ll walk away with:
- An in-depth understanding of the technical pillars that underpin blockchain technology and its applications.
- The ability to identify Bitcoin and blockchain technology’s capabilities and the associated regulatory frameworks and challenges.
- The skills to apply blockchain solutions to support your business and unlock value.
- An appreciation of the power of decentralization and the business opportunities it presents.