Online publishers reporting strong revenue growth

Online publishers reporting strong revenue growth

Revenues from digital publishing in the UK was up 31.9% to GBP 152 million in the first quarter of the year compared to the same period last year. Display advertising was the largest category by revenue for digital publishers reaching GBP 53.6 million, up 4.7%, according to Digital Publishers’ Revenue Index (DPRI) from the Association of Online Publishers (AOP) and Deloitte.

“Revenue from subscriptions also contributed positively, growing by 48.8% compared to Q1 2020.”

“Publisher confidence in the industry continues to remain very strong, mirroring the broader economic optimism. Perhaps influenced by the learnings of the pandemic, 78% of AOP’s board members surveyed believe cost reduction will once again be a high priority for their business over the next 12 months, up from 14% since this time last year”, AOP said in a statement.

“Both B2B and B2C publishers saw double-digit growth in digital revenues in Q1 2021. B2C publisher revenues grew by 34.2%, relative to Q1 2020, from GBP 104.3 million to GBP 139.2 million, fuelled by large increases in subscriptions (64%). B2B revenue increased by 11.1%, relative to Q1 2020, driven by increases in subscriptions (4.7%) and display advertising (18.7%).”

On a 12-month rolling basis ending March 2021, total digital revenue increased by 9.5% to GBP 517.4 million, driven by substantial growth in subscriptions which increased to GBP 123.1 million over the same period. Overall revenues across both B2B and B2C publishers increased, growing 1% and 10.5% respectively on a 12-month rolling basis.

Recruitment, sponsorship, and online video income, which were down by 46.9%, 17.2% and 23.1% respectively since March 2020.

“New data from Deloitte’s Digital Consumer Trends Research highlights that consumers aged 18-24 are the most likely age group to have access to a paid news-site or magazine subscription. Galvanising loyalty particularly among this age group should continue to be a key priority for publishers in the year ahead, alongside the development of content formats that appeal to new readers and subscribers”, said Dan Ison, Lead Partner for Telecommunications, Media and Entertainment, Deloitte.

 

Moonshot News is an independent European news website for all IT, Media and Advertising professionals, powered by women and with a focus on driving the narrative for diversity, inclusion and gender equality in the industry.

Our mission is to provide top and unbiased information for all professionals and to make sure that women get their fair share of voice in the news and in the spotlight!

We produce original content, news articles, a curated calendar of industry events and a database of women IT, Media and Advertising associations.

Moonshot.news

Moonshot.news

[email protected]

Follow
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

    Do you want an experienced opinion on a job issue?

    Moonshot Manager is here to answer!

      Moonshot community sharing thoughts and ideas, in a anonymous, safe environment.