A powerful collection of 36 stories about how the world’s most successful women have overcome some of life’s biggest challenges to reach the top of their professions. The women in these stories are powerful, internationally diverse and have impressive leadership accomplishments and reveal the things leaders rarely talk about: the struggles behind the scenes.
The authors are Bonnie Hagemann, a leadership expert and the CEO of Executive Development Associates, a consulting firm specializing in top-of-the-range executive development, and Lisa Pent a financially literate FTSE 100 senior executive who sits on the board of the Wall Street Women’s Alliance.
The book wants to talk to and inspire everyone who wants to lead and make a difference for others whether by running a company or a team, a project or a home.
These moving and personal tales from some of the world’s leading women in business want you to know that you are not alone, and that you can lean on the strength of those who have gone before you, keep leading and keep getting back up again and again. They teach five core competencies for life and leadership and speak to both men and women:
- Courage: leadership requires the inner strength and mental fortitude to step up, step out, take risks, fail and persevere.
- Resiliency: the ability to bounce back and recover from adversity can be the deciding factor between success and failure
- Adaptability: adaptability is not change for the sake of change, but a purposeful shift in personal stance in order to respond to new insights.
- Sensemaking: good leaders are intentional about slowing down and spending time in deep reflection in order to make sense of situations, gain new insights and think strategically about how to use what they’ve learned going forward.
- Vulnerability: effective leadership means dropping the superhero façade and admitting when you need help, then accepting that help when it is offered